English ivy can be an attractive plant found all over Oregon. It tends to grow in cold, shaded areas where the soil is kept moist and fertile. Many people use English ivy as decorations in their gardens because of its pretty "climbing" appearance and color. However, the plant isn’t native to our state and can easily become invasive.

English ivy has the ability to spread rapidly and take over your entire yard, killing off your other plants. It also can pose health risks, as it is somewhat poisonous, capable of causing itchy skin conditions such as dermatitis.

At J&C Lawn Care we provide various lawn care services, including the removal of English ivy, in Happy Valley, OR and the surrounding areas. Here’s why it’s best to have one of our experts come to remove ivy from your yard to make sure it is completely eradicated.


English ivy is toxic to humans and many animals

When you hear English ivy, you probably think of its thick, shiny leaves that are indented on the edges. They are a beautiful deep green color with pale yellow or white veins that show through. The foliage of English ivy is its most popular attribute, but it's also its most deadly. The leaves are even more toxic than their berries.

If you have small children or pets that play outside, English ivy leaves and berries are a true hazard. When consumed, the plant can cause:

  • Severe vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Mild stomach issues
  • Breathing problems
  • Decreased muscle strength
  • Coordination issues
  • Hallucinations

Because of its toxicity, you should prioritize having English Ivy removed from your home.


Side effects of English ivy exposure

English ivy blanketing the ground at a Sunnyside, Oregon home.

Many people are allergic to English ivy. Touching its sap alone can cause contact or allergic contact dermatitis, which is a very itchy—and uncomfortable—rash. Contact with English ivy can also cause swelling and shortness of breath.


Ivy is a haven for spiders, snakes, and rodents

In addition to being poisonous, English ivy is also a great home for all kinds of unwelcome visitors, like spiders, snakes, rodents, and other small garden animals like snails and worms. Ivy attracts these critters as it creates a dense cover for them to live under. Rodents like rats flock to ivy because it provides burrows for them to hide in and vines for them to climb on when looking for food.

Having English ivy removed is important for the health of your other plants. The insects living in the ivy can eventually kill the surrounding habitat by feeding on leaves and stems. When removing English ivy, you have to be very aware of all these pests. Spider bites, in particular, are common for those without the right tools.


Our professionals are the best people to handle the removal of English Ivy.

At the end of the day, it's important to keep yourself, your family, and your pets safe from the dangerous effects of English ivy. You should prioritize having it removed as soon as possible.

It's best to consult a professional when you are dealing with such a toxic, invasive species as ivy. The plant can be tough to get rid of because of its vines and root system. Our professionals have all the right skills and machines to carry out successful, safe removal.


Call us to Get Started With Your English Ivy Removal

At J&C Lawn Care, both of our founders were born and raised in Happy Valley, OR and have extensive knowledge of the area. You can trust us to keep your yard free from the harmful English Ivy after a thorough removal. Call us today at (971) 284-2035 to set up a consultation.